Monday, March 26, 2012

The Chokecherry Tree


" It's a tree Lu. A chokecherry tree." (93)

This description not only startled me but moved me in a such a way that I could not get past this image when I first read these words. Sethe's back was so torn, ripped, swollen, and red that it was unrecognizable. It was no longer a human back, but a tree. Just to think how many times this woman was whipped, and how much pain she suffered before she escaped is disturbing. I say disturbing because I can never and will never understand how humans can treat other humans as if they're a piece of meat; as if they were meaningless creatures devoured of their dignity. When Amy described Sethe's markings as a chokecherry tree, I immediately thought of this image to right. I have seen this image time and time again of this African-American man with his back towards the camera displaying his chokecherry tree back.

I was touched by Amy's efforts to comfort Sethe; making something so gruesome and painful into something delightful.

"See, here's the trunk-- it's red and split wide open, full of sap, and this here's the parting for the branches. You got a might lot of branches. Leaves, too, look like, and dern if these ain't blossoms. They little cherry blossoms, just as white. Your back got a whole tree on it. In bloom." (93)

This is a such a tender moment between the two because here's a white girl, massaging, and making light of this colored-woman's tribulations. Amy was thoughtful enough to come up with such a description. She didn't talk on and on about how terrible it was. She decided to make it better by associating the markings with something beautiful instead of something horrid.


No comments:

Post a Comment